Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Book Thief

"Its just a small story really, about, among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery..."


Yes, my copy of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak has finally arrived. And no, I wouldn't call it a small story. 


But I think it's pretty telling that a book published in 2005 still has a steady holds list at the local library. Not to mention, it's a Prinz honor book and one of my good friend Meg's favorite books of all time. 


Anyone reading with me? I'll stop back by to let you know what I think...



3 comments:

  1. Just read it maybe six months ago, and am looking forward to hear what you think! I have some (maybe unpopular) opinions of my own....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it about three times for my thesis, so I'll pass on rereading it right now.
    Oh, Caroline, "unpopular" opinions??
    Can't wait for this discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and would wring them out like the rain."

    There are three things I love so far about this book:

    1) metaphors, unique and powerful, like the above
    2)the snippets of humor that make the dark setting bearable
    3)filthy, foul-mouthed, incorrigible Liesel

    400 pages to go. I have a feeling that this book is going to break my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

indiebound

Followers

my favorite books

The Magician's Elephant
Ash
The Sky Is Everywhere
Keeper
On the Jellicoe Road
Home of the Brave
The Higher Power of Lucky
Pictures of Hollis Woods
}